Sunday, April 5, 2009

Week 8: Thing 19 - Library Thing

Week 8: Thing 19 - Libary Thing

Library Thing is certainly an exciting new discovery. Even before the recent economic downturn
this winter, I was trying desperately to follow a new mantra: "Laura, DO NOT buy any more
books; DO NOT buy anymore books....!" (rather unsuccessfully, I might add). I have probably enough books in my personal collection at home to populate a small library. Categories include art books (photography and painting how-to, biographies of artists, works of specific artists);
cook books; mysteries; contemporary fiction and romance; historical fiction.....the list goes on.


I had some difficulties sometimes in locating a book when a search would show 'no results,' even when I knew very well that the book exists. Not sure if that was just my unfamiliarity with the site navigation, operator error or what. I referred back to the 'add a book' instructions and that seemed to improve the situation.

In checking the popularity of a few of the books in my collection, it was interesting to note
how some authors were more popular than others (Nora Roberts vs. Susan Wiggs for example, possibly because Roberts has a more national and international renown, and I believe Susan Wiggs is a popular northwest author (more locally based). There were differences in whether a book was contemporary fiction or, for example, a book featuring paintings of one artist (a picture book!) with the latter having only a few other notations.

I am very pleased to make the acquaintance of the Library Thing web tool and have good intentions of following up and creating a catalog of my personal library collection.

3 comments:

  1. One of the things that I like about LT is that I can see what other people who like a particular book are reading. That has turned me on to some books that I would not have read otherwise.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like we have similar home libraries. I'm curious if LT is an effective tool to use for home libraries. I will do more exploring of LT because I immediately liked this web tool!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually have a LT account for my professional reading which I confess is a bit obsessive however I use it more for a place to list the great books I have come across that have good ideas or resources and then I have a place to go back, refresh my memory and recall what it is
    I found useful. Life is to short to read everything so my professional list is more of a way of organizing.

    ReplyDelete