Thursday, April 9, 2009

Week 8: Thing 19.1

Week 8: Thing 19.1 Alaska Digital Pipeline

This will be a stream of consciousness partial blog post from a hotel lobby in Olympia, Washington. I've occasionally used the Alaska SLED library catalog from my community library while searching for a book for myself or my children. The current 'digital pipeline' is an awesome and comprehensive search tool. I spent a lot of time looking around the 'Kids Stuff' category, and located links and resources with recipes for kids to cook, info on health, illnesses, how the body works, hearing conservation, among a myriad of other topics.
I was able to look up the latest information about the status of the Mt. Redoubt volcanic eruptions in Alaska, and how that might affect my flight home. Still orange alert status, but it doesn't appear to be affecting the flights from Seattle to Anchorage today. I also cruised around an update about the status of federal stimulus funds for Alaska and looked at some federal grant possibilities for education and other state and local entitites (autism research funding will be available).
The ability to just click on a link for the sites listed makes them very easily accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment