Saturday, April 11, 2009

Week 8: Thing 19.1

Week 8: Thing 19.1 (Alaska's digital pipeline)

I spent more time exploring the digital pipeline and EBSCO support sites and links.
This is the first time I've seen the EBSCO support site, and both it and the digital pipeline are
a bit mind boggling with all the information that can be accessed through these resources.
This 19.1 'addendum' could be a whole course in and of itself, I'm sure!
I viewed tutorials on the EBSCO support site on Dyna-med, Kid Support, multi-lingual options and others.
One of the notable differences between the Kids, Middle School and High School interfaces is that each higher level expands a little more and becomes a little more complex with more initial search topics. In reviewing 'articles' on each, the elementary level was written at a developmentally appropriate level, and the teen article was longer and written at a higher level. Illustrations under both categories were age appropriate. I saw a brief video from a father who wanted to teach his teenage daughter about abstinence; I believe that was under a teen category or 'for parents' category.
Under a kids health interface, I did a search for hearing loss, and came up with a few articles
(again, written at developmentally appropriate ages for elementary and high school students)
which I plan to print and read with a few of my students. I will also share these links with the
other teachers in my department. I could also e.mail or text the link to at least one of my high school students who is more tech savvy than I am!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that there is so much information on the Digital Pipeline. I spent hours on it and know there is so much more to see. It is a bit overwhelming, but I plan to go back and explore some more.
    I love all of the gadgets you have along the side.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete