Monday, April 13, 2009

Week 9: Thing 23

Week 9: Thing 23 - Copyright and Creative Commons

I watched the fair(y)-use copyright video which was a creative presentation to drive the point home. I wonder how long it took Eric Faden and collaborators to produce it?!
I also reviewed the Creative Commons site. I hadn't heard of Creative Commons before, but it
seems like a valid idea to be able to adjust one's copyright status for various works. Although I didn't peruse in-depth, the licensing tools looked accessible and easy to use.

Course summary:
What worked:
Whew! This online course has been a fantastic introduction to interactive Web 2.0 tools.
The course syllabus is well organized and easy to follow. Where there are two or three sub-activities to do under one heading, they seem to be well matched or related. Tuning in to comment on others' blogs is also a good idea. I feel like I've come a long way since my 
first few naked blog entries. I looked at someone else's blog which had some eye-catching
sidebar gadgets and felt envious. Now I not only know how to create a blog, but also how to add some pretty fancy stuff! (Check out my 'Celtic Woman' soundbites! How cool is that?). I also realize that while I've learned a great deal, there's still so much more out there to learn or become more proficient thru the use of these web applications, it's kind of mind boggling.
For example, recently I've been having trouble uploading url's for videos to my blog and some of my gadget's have become broken. I guess that comes with the territory of internet navigation...it's not always smooth sailing and there's a lot of room for operator error.

Thank you, Ann, for the more recent updates on my assignment completion status for the class.
Those were very helpful. 

What didn't work:
I think this course should be at least a 2 credit class offering.  Each of the 23 things required on average about 2-5 hours of online activity. 

Overall, this has been an awesome learning experience. I got off to a late start, but I really liked the self-paced, do it yourself learning environment. I've gotten a lot of ideas to share with my colleagues and use with my students.

1 comment:

  1. Laura,

    I am really glad that you were able to participate in the class. I will talk to UAA about the credit. Not sure how the increased cost will affect enrollment, but I can try. :-)

    You have stuck with it and that is the key to using and being successful with tech.....don't let the computer win....wear it down :-)

    Thanks so much!

    Ann

    ReplyDelete